In the first episode of 2020, Gabe and Garrett welcome their new colleague Emma Rothberg, who is a PhD Candidate in history at UNC-Chapel Hill as well as a co-director of the Digital History Lab. Emma discusses representations of gender in Little Women, which was nominated for 6 Oscars and won for Best Costume Design.
Listen on Soundcloud or one of the apps below.
- Josephine Trovey, “Being Jo March: Little Women Finally Has an Ending Grown Women Deserve,” The Guardian
- Sarah Blackwood, “‘Little Women’ and the Marmee Problem,” The New Yorker
- Jessica Bennett, “This is Little Women for a New Era,” New York Times
- Kathryn Shattuck, “Really Seeing Marmee,” New York Times
- Anne Boyd Rioux, Meg, Jo, Beth, Amy: The Story of Little Women and Why It Still Matters (2018)
This episode of the first of a two-part Oscars week feature. Check out the other episode (on 1917) here.
Produced by Gabe Moss, Emma Rothberg, and Garrett Wright
Edited by Ashley Curry
All opinions are the speakers’ own, and do not represent the official views of UNC or the Department of History.